What If My Spouse Is Unemployed?

A common concern that’s raised with respect to child support is what if my spouse or the noncustodial parent is unemployed? In those situations, there’s a number of different ways to proceed. We don’t always have to rely on what is reported in the tax returns, and I can discuss with you ways to do that during a confidential consultation. Contact us today.

It is possible to modify a child support order if you or the child’s other parent has experienced a significant change in circumstances. Modifications can increase or decrease the amount of support paid, depending on the situation.

Examples of significant changes in circumstances include:

  • Job loss
  • Serious illness
  • Job promotion
  • Loss of housing

The person who wishes to modify the agreement must prove the circumstances require a new order. This could include providing wage statements or medical information to the courts but as stated above, there are other ways to prove income.

Schedule a confidential consultation with Rochester divorce lawyer Michelle Cimino today and let her experience work for you.

Follow us on Facebook for daily updates!