Divorce Papers: Preparing to Serve Your Spouse

Divorce Papers: Preparing to Serve Your Spouse

We understand that preparing for a divorce can be very emotional. Depending on the relationship you have with your spouse, you might be very nervous about serving them with divorce papers. We want you to know that you can find support in every step of your divorce process from our Rochester divorce attorney Michelle Cimino. Please keep reading to learn more about preparing to start your divorce, and then give us a call to set up a consultation.

How Do I Prepare?

We can go over how to prepare all of the things that you legally need to get ready for your divorce when you meet with us during our first and subsequent meetings together. You do not have to stress about this. We make the beginning stages of your divorce as smooth as possible.

The difficult part of this is preparing yourself emotionally. You are likely about to embark on a journey with a lot of big life changes. You will no longer be living with your spouse. Perhaps you are going to need to find somewhere else to live, either temporarily or permanently.

Divorce is a huge change. Make sure you have a reliable support system and some ways to destress and find some stability. Some people get into journaling, seek therapy, or find a group of friends to who they can commiserate about the divorce.

Getting yourself set up to succeed after the divorce papers are filed can help make this a less tumultuous process in the long run.

If you have yet to discuss getting a divorce with your spouse, have that conversation to see how they will react when served with divorce documents. This will affect how the papers get served to them. Keep reading to learn more.

Who Serves Your Spouse Divorce Papers?

In New York State, you have two options for serving divorce documents to your spouse. If you are not anticipating your spouse to dig their heels in about receiving the papers and you can trust that they will return the papers signed and notarized, then you can hand them the “Affidavit of Defendant” yourself.

If you know that your spouse is not going to be agreeable to this and/or you do not want to see them for your own well-being, then they will be officially served the papers. You will not be the one to officially serve them.

If your spouse is in NYS, then the person who serves them only needs to be a NYS resident. That could be anyone who is trusted to take the proper steps to make sure that they do this properly. If your spouse is not in NYS, please ask your attorney to look into the laws of the state they are in to see who is allowed to serve them the divorce papers.

We will guide you through this process so that you do not have to worry about how your spouse will be served if you are not going to be able to do it yourself.

Call Our Rochester Divorce Lawyer Today

If you are looking for a divorce lawyer who is dedicated and cares about their clients, please give Rochester divorce lawyer Michelle Cimino a call today. We would be glad to get you set up with your first consultation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *